In general, you need to keep your card safe and clean. In case you lost it or it is worn out, please read below what you can do and how you can replace it.
ID and Passport Renewal Procedures for those travelling abroad
If you are planning to travel abroad, please make sure you can travel back to Greece to complete the renewal process of your ID and TDV before their expiry date. If you are abroad after your ID and passport expiry, you won't be able to return and renew your documents!
Please read these articles to find out how to apply for the renewal of your ID or Travel Documents online, and remember that you can only complete the process if you are present in Greece. Please note that you can travel to other EU countries for 90 days per 6-month period.
🔵Ukrainian nationals: Temporary Protection Card
The Migration Service can now issue new Temporary Protection cards to replace the lost ones. (Previously, they only provided a paper certificate certifying the temporary protection status and its validity). In case you lose your card, you can replace it and get a new one.
You will need the following documents:
- Obtain a certificate from the police about the loss/stealing of the card.
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com and request an appointment.
- Attend the appointment at the appointed time with your passport and police certificate.
The validity period indicated on the newly issued card is March 4, 2024.
If your temporary protection card is damaged, email firstname.lastname@example.org, saying that you need to replace your card and which Asylum Office is responsible for your case. The competent Asylum Service will contact you to set an appointment to get the new card.
Renew the asylum card
You have to renew your Registration card depending on the type of procedure, either every month or every six months. This is mentioned on the asylum card. To renew your asylum card, you must present yourself the latest on the day after its expiry date to the competent Asylum Service. If you fail to do so, you need to go to the Asylum Service as soon as possible and explain why you could not renew your card on time.
Please remember that the Asylum Service might close your case if you fail to renew your card by the next day after its expiry date. In case the Asylum Services issues a decision that suspends the examination of your asylum application, you have the right to request its continuation only once and within nine (9) months from the issuance of the relevant decision. It will help a lot if you have documents proving why you could not renew your card on time (e.g. medical documents).
If it is not possible for the asylum Service to renew your card due to technical reasons or other reasons concerning the operation of the Asylum Service, it will post an online announcement to inform the public accordingly. In such a case, your card will be automatically renewed.
Expired asylum card
As explained above, you have to renew your Registration Card depending on the type of procedure, either every month or every six months. You should go for the renewal before your card expires. Otherwise, the Asylum Service might close your case.
If your card has expired, go to the Asylum Service as soon as possible and explain why you did not renew your card on time. It is important to show them any documents proving that serious reasons did not allow you to present yourself to the Asylum Service on the day after your asylum card’s expiration date at the latest.
Lost or stolen asylum card
- Go to the Asylum Office that issued the card and tell the staff you lost your card or that it was stolen.
- The Asylum Service will give you a document that says you have applied for international protection and gives the number of your lost card.
- Take the document to the Greek Police and say your card was lost or stolen.
- The police will give you a notice.
- Take the notice to the Asylum Service. They will give you a replacement card at least two months later.
- Until you get the replacement card, keep the document from the Asylum Service and the notice from the police.
Damaged asylum card
If your Registration card gets damaged, go to the Asylum Service and ask for a replacement. Bring the damaged card.
Renew the Residence Permit
You have to submit an online application for the renewal of your Residence Permit the latest 30 days before its expiry date. Due to the significant delays that occur in practice, it is advised to submit the application 2-3 months before the expiry date.
Find below briefly the stages and the steps for the renewal of residence permits of recognized refugees or persons granted subsidiary protection:
- Step 1: 2-3 months before the residence permit expiration, the holder of the residence permit must fill in the application form for the renewal online and send it along with one digital passport photo by email to email@example.com. After lodging your application, you can request a certification that your application is pending issued by the Asylum Service. Depending on the workload of the Regional Asylum Office, you might receive the certificate immediately or be asked to go back in some days. You can still use your expired ID with this certification until the issuance of your new ID and for a maximum of 6 months.
- Step 2: When the decision for the residence permit renewal is ready, the person will receive an email from the Asylum Service with instructions and the documents they must have with them at the appointment with the Police.
- Step 3: The person must book an appointment with the competent police department according to their address.
- Step 4: On the day of the appointment, the person should present themselves to the Police station along with the required documents. Then, they have to wait for the residence permit to be issued.
- Step 5: When the residence permit is ready, you must book an appointment with the competent asylum office to collect it.
The Greek Asylum Service asks residence permit holders to renew them online. They suggest starting this process at least three months before your Residence Permit expires.
You should regularly check the email address you declared in your application, as you will receive an email when the decision to renew the residence permit is ready. Check also the SPAM folder in your Gmail account.
After you are informed that the decision to renew your residence permit is ready, you should book an appointment with the competent Police Department to give your fingerprints and photos again. After this procedure, you must wait for the residence permit to be issued. Some people get a renewed Residence Permit within a month or two. For others, the process takes much longer.
If you did not submit your online application for the renewal of your Residence Permit before its expiry date, try to submit it as soon as possible, following the procedure explained above. In that case, you must explain why you did not file the application on time and, ideally, submit documents that prove why you couldn’t. (e.g. medical documents)
Remember that if you are abroad and your residence permit expires, you will not be able to return to Greece, so it is advised that you return before it expires.
If you do not submit your application within the deadline (the latest 30 days before its expiry date), there is a penalty of 100 euros.
Expired Residence Permit
Please note that the Greek Asylum Service has confirmed to Refugee.Info that renewing Residence Permits may take longer than expected — sometimes more than six months. This means that some of you may be left with expired Residence Permits, which you can’t use to verify your ID or to access public services like unemployment offices and Citizen Service Centers (KEPs). For this reason, a certification will be issued to you with six six-month validity period, which, together with your expired ID, can ensure access to services temporarily.
Damaged residence permit
If your residence permit is visibly damaged (your personal details are not readable or your photo is not clear), you can ask for a replacement. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org, send a picture of your damaged residence permit and request its replacement, or go to the competent Asylum Office in person. The procedure for the replacement is similar to the process followed when you have lost your card. For more information about the procedure, please contact the Refugee.Info team.
Renew Travel Documents
To renew your travel document, you need to take the following 5 steps:
- Step 1: First, you apply to the Asylum Service by email.
- Step 2: You send Solemn Declarations by post to the Asylum Service.
- Step 3: You receive an email reply from the Asylum Service with instructions on steps 4 and 5. If you cannot find this email, check your SPAM folder.
- Step 4: You submit documents to the Passport Office of the Greek Police (or Offices for Aliens).
- Step 5: You pick up your renewed travel document from the Regional Asylum Office or Asylum Unit of the Asylum Service.
Expired Travel Documents
There is no deadline for the renewal of your Travel Document. Remember that to submit the relevant application, you need to have a valid Residence Permit. It is advised to apply for the renewal of your travel document before its expiry date, especially if you need to travel abroad, because if your travel documents expire while abroad, you will not be able to return to Greece and complete the process.
Lost or stolen Travel Documents
- Go to the Asylum Office and tell the staff you lost your travel document or that it was stolen.
- The Asylum Service will give you a document that says the number of your lost or stolen travel documents.
- Take the document to the Greek Police and say your travel document was lost or stolen. The police will ask you to sign a solemn declaration about the lost or stolen travel document.
- The police will give you a notice. The Police will thoroughly investigate the conditions of the loss or theft of the travel document.
- The Asylum Service will issue a new decision for travel documents at least two months later.
- When you get the new decision for the travel document, you must book an appointment with the competent Police Department in order to give your fingerprints and photos again to reissue the new travel document. Along with the required documents, you will have to submit a certificate from the Police that will have the result of the investigation on it.
- Until you get the new travel document, keep the document from the Asylum Service and the notice from the police.
Damaged Travel Documents
If your travel document is visibly damaged (water damaged, cut, your details are not readable, or your photo is not clear), you can ask for a replacement. You can email the Asylum Service's competent office at AS.email@example.com, send a picture of your damaged travel document and request its replacement, or go to the Asylum Office responsible for your case. The replacement procedure is similar to the process followed when you have lost your document. For more information about the procedure, please contact us.
🔵 Unemployment card
Kindly be aware that the unemployment card exists in an online format and is not provided as a physical card. To confirm your status as an unemployment beneficiary and access your benefits, it is necessary to print your unemployment status through the online platform.
Expired Unemployment card
If you miss renewing your unemployment card online, it will be considered expired and invalid. Consequently, you'll need to reinitiate the process and submit a new request for the issuance of an unemployment card.
Renew Unemployment card
You should renew the card every three months and at least 5 working days before your card expires. You can do this online, via the DYPA application or by making an appointment in a Citizens' Service Centre (KEP offices).
Find more in the Getting an Unemployment Card article