Health care is generally free for people who live legally in Greece. You need a Social Security number (ΑΜΚΑ) to:

  • have access to healthcare
  • work
  • get insurance for yourself and your family

You will find your AMKA number written on your temporary protection residence permit card that gives you access to Hospitals, Primary Medical Care (P.E.D.Y.), Health Centers, Local Health Units (T.O.M.Y.), free medical check-ups and medicine.

Normally, AMKA is activated without further action needed from your side. Still, if you face any difficulties and your AMKA has not been activated,  you will need to visit a KEP office (Citizen Service Center).  

Benefits that you have as a result of the National Insurance:

  • Access to private doctors who are associated with the National Insurance System (EOPYY). There is an online list of medical specialities in detail on the EOPY webpage.
  • 75% coverage of medical check-ups at private diagnostics centres.
  • Partial coverage at medical pair of eyeglasses.
  • Partial coverage at Physiotherapy Sessions, Occupational Therapy Sessions and Speech Therapy Sessions.

🔗 Find more about healthcare and free services for basic needs in Greece, in this article.

Below, you can find more information and frequently asked questions. If you need further support, you can still send a message to Refugee.Info

I am under 18, without a parent in Greece. Can I get an AMKA?

Yes, you can obtain an AMKA number, which will be provided on your temporary protection residence permit card.

If you are an unaccompanied minor in Greece and have not yet been in contact with the authorities, there is a special mechanism for your protection and support, known as the National Mechanism for Tracing and Protection of Unaccompanied Minors, under the Ministry of Migration and Asylum. They will arrange for your transfer to special emergency accommodation structures for identification procedures if necessary, and a legal guardian will be appointed for you.

For more information, 

Your legal guardian will assist you in accessing your rights, including issuing a social security number. 

Getting a National Insurance Νumber (ΑΜΑ Number) by EFKA

All individuals legally residing and working in Greece must obtain an AMA Number (National Insurance Number) once they receive a job offer. Your employer will need your AMA Number to finalize the hiring process. Subsequently, you will be issued a work contract, and your employer will be able to make National Insurance contributions on your behalf.

You must personally visit the EFKA office nearest your residence to obtain an AMA Number. You can locate the Registry Department (“Μητρώο Ασφαλισμένων”) at the EFKA office. No prior appointment is necessary. You can find a list of EFKA offices (in Greek) here.

When visiting the EFKA office, ensure you have the following documents with you:

  • Your Temporary Protection Residence Permit your residence permit (and passport, if you have one)
  • A copy of your AMKA document
  • Your AFM (tax number)
  • Your employer’s letter for a job offer («βεβαίωση πρόσληψης»)
  • Proof of address (this is required for the EFKA officer to verify your designated EFKA office)
  • Your IBAN (optional)

Inform the EFKA officer that you have received a job offer and wish to register.

Financial allowances in Greece

Check this article below to find the allowances that you might be eligible for and the documents that are required to apply.  

🔗Financial allowances in Greece

Mental health services in Greece

Some organisations in Greece want to help you if you are experiencing stress, worry, sadness, loneliness, anger, or depression, feelings commonly associated with challenges or when you are unable to change or achieve something.

If you require psychiatric medication, it's advisable to obtain a PAAYPA or a Greek social security number (AMKA) and then consult a doctor. However, if you're unable to acquire a PAAYPA or an AMKA number, current Greek policy still allows access to psychiatric medication at no cost.

In Greece, psychiatric medications fall under a special category known as “psychiatric and neurological medications,” which are subject to specific regulations. You'll need a prescription signed by a psychiatrist or neurologist from Hospitals, Primary Medical Care (P.E.D.Y.), or Local Health Units (T.O.M.Y.) to obtain these medications.

You can use the prescription at pharmacies located within Greek public hospitals.