This article was developed using the below pages as resources:
Important Announcement - Validity extension of the Temporary Protection Status
📢 To the Ukrainian Nationals having a Temporary protection status that expires on September 4, 2023: The validity of the temporary protection status is extended for another six (6) months, specifically from September 4, 2023, to March 4, 2024.
You can find the relevant Ministerial decision here.
❗ Please note that as of the moment and according to the announcement, there is no information on any required action for the card renewal. The RI team will closely follow any relevant announcements and updates on this.
Important Announcement - Validity of the Temporary Protection Card (Residence Permit) regarding travelling in the Schengen area in the EU
📢 The Ukrainian Nationals having a Temporary protection status and the temporary card issued, have the right to travel and move freely inside the EU-Schengen area, even after the first 90 days of the acquisition of the temporary protection status.
The Greek state has added the Temporary Protection Residence Permit to Annex 22 of the List of Residence Permits Issued by Member-States.
This means that Ukrainian nationals with Temporary Protection Status can travel from Greece to any Schengen Area country and stay longer than 90 days legally.
🔵 Note that Schengen Area countries are: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
How can you get a new card if you lose your Temporary Protection card?
The Migration Service can now issue new Temporary Protection cards to replace the lost ones. (Previously, they only provided a paper certificate certifying the temporary protection status and its validity). In case you lose your card, you can replace it and get a new one.
You will need the following documents:
- Obtain a certificate from the police about the loss/stealing of the card.
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com and request an appointment.
- Attend the appointment at the appointed time with your passport and police certificate.
The validity period indicated on the newly issued card is March 4, 2024.
How to withdraw from Temporary Protection in Greece?
To annul a temporary protection card, you need to return the card and fill out an application at the State Service Office for Refugees at the relevant Regional Office for Refugees. The application must include your name, father's name, date of birth, card number and registration number.
If you are already abroad, you can contact the nearest Greek consular office and hand over your card while filling in an application form, in which you must indicate your name, father's name, date of birth, card number and registration number. The Greek consular authority must send your card by post to the regional asylum office that issued it. You can fill in the application form and hand it in to the Greek consular post with the card or send it (only the application form) by email to the relevant Regional Asylum Office.
Arrival at the Airport or by Road
You may enter Greece by following the procedures below:
- Holders of a Ukrainian biometric passport may enter through all entry points (land and air) with a maximum stay of 90 days.
- Holders of a Ukrainian passport without biometric features (old type) may enter from all entry points; a transit visa is required with a maximum stay of 90 days. Attention: for the above cases, the National Police will stamp your passport with the date of entry.
- Ukrainian citizens who do not have travel documents may enter only from the Passport Control Department in Promachonas (tel. 0030-23230 41079) where you will be issued a document by the staff of the Ukrainian Embassy in Greece. This procedure allows you to stay for a maximum of 90 days.
- In case your children do not have travel documents, National Police officials will note under the entry stamp on your own passport the number of children you are accompanying. Attention: in this case, you will have to show a certificate of marital status or a birth certificate of your children. If you do not have either of these documents, you must complete and submit a solemn declaration stating the number of children, their first name, surname, gender and date of birth.
About Asylum application
Ukrainians who arrived in Greece after the 26th of November 2022 are entitled to temporary protection status.
If you don’t have a foreign passport, but you have one of the following documents:
- passport of a citizen of Ukraine in the form of an ID card
- passport of a citizen of Ukraine in the form of a book (so-called domestic passport)
- birth certificate
The Ukrainian Embassy of Ukraine in Athens or the Consulate General of Ukraine in Thessaloniki will issue you a relevant certificate. With this certificate, you can apply to the Asylum Service of the Ministry of Migration and Asylum in Greece for further processing of documents. You can use it if you are looking for an apartment, a job, registration to a school in Greece and many other public procedures. The issuance of the Certificate is free of charge. In the Asylum Office, you will also need one photo card size 3.5x4.5.
If you arrived in Greece before the 26th of November 2022, you have the right to apply for refugee and asylum. If you have had a previous application and you received a rejection decision, you have the right to submit a subsequent application.
Ukrainian with foreign passports
Read below if your passport falls under one of the below categories and find out what are procedures you can follow:
- If there are no more than 3 months left until the end of your foreign passport, you can submit to the Embassy of Ukraine in Athens or the Consulate of Ukraine in Thessaloniki a statement of an extension of its validity for up to 5 years.
- A foreign passport of a child under 12 years old is also ongoing, but for a specific period, no more than this period after issuing it.
- If your child/children (up to 16 years old) don’t have a foreign or Ukrainian passport, Consulates can put their data into your foreign passport with the child/children's photo card.
The deadline extension for the foreign passport is carried out on the day of appeal by the person who owns the passport or its legal representative. Meeting at the consulate for the continuation of the foreign passport is free of charge.
To submit data about children to a foreign passport, the legal representative submits to the Embassy of Ukraine in Athens or the Consulate of Ukraine in Thessaloniki the following documents:
- the foreign passport
- a statement on the entry of a foreign passport of information about the child
- a birth certificate or a document confirming the fact of the birth of a child issued by the competent authorities of a foreign state (in the case of the absence of a birth certificate, an extracted document by the State Register of Civil Status of Citizens shall be submitted)
- two 3.5 x 4.5 cm small photos
- a document confirming the authority of a person as a legal representative - affidavit
All documents issued by foreign countries must be certified in accordance with the law of Ukraine order (if the birth certificate is issued on the territory of Greece, it must contain the APOSTILLE stamp and be translated into the Ukrainian language).
Submission of information about the child is carried out on the day of the appeal of a legal representative - free of charge.
Pre-registration and Provision of Temporary Protection
You can apply on the online platform for pre-registration for the application for Temporary Protection of Displaced Ukrainians. The platform is available on the Ministry of Migration and Asylum website.
Who can apply:
- All Ukrainian nationals, as well as stateless persons or third-country nationals who were beneficiaries of international or equivalent national protection residing in Ukraine up to the 24th of February 2022 and their families, are eligible to apply.
- All Ukrainians who arrived in Greece three months before the date of the invasion in Ukraine are entitled to get temporary protection status.
You can apply for yourself and for your family. Particularly:
(a) your spouse or the unmarried partner with whom you live together in a stable relationship that can be adequately proven,
(b) your minor unmarried children without distinction as to whether they were born in or out of marriage or adopted,
(c) other close relatives who lived together as part of your family at the time of the war in Ukraine and were wholly or mainly dependent on you.
How can you apply?
You will have to log in to the platform with your email and can include up to 10 members of your family in your application for pre-registration. In the application form, you will choose the Regional Asylum Office where you wish to book your appointment and receive your Temporary Protection. The competent Regional Asylum Offices are the ones below:
- Regional Asylum Office of Attica
- Regional Asylum Office of Alimos
- Regional Asylum Office of Thessaloniki
- Regional Asylum Office of Western Greece (Patra)
- Regional Asylum Office of Crete
Please note that the Asylum Services do not currently reissue new Temporary Protection cards in case of loss or theft but only issue a document certifying the fact.
Once you have finalized your application, you will be given an appointment (Date & Time) for your attendance at the location you chose for your registration. You will receive a receipt at the e-mail address you provided. The appointment is the same for all members of the application. Please also check your Spam folder.
On the day of your registration before the Regional Asylum Office, you will have to submit all relevant documents for your application and mainly documents proving your lawful residence in Ukraine prior to the 24th of February, such as a national passport, Temporary Protection and/or travel documents. In case you do not have any of these documents, make sure to submit the Police Note provided to you by the Hellenic Police once you enter Greece.
The Temporary protection will be given to you immediately, provided that you have one of these documents, and will be valid until the 4th of September 2023 and then for another 6 months until the 4th of March 2024.
You will also be provided with a Social Security Number (AMKA) and a Tax Identification Number (AFM), written on your Temporary protection card and activated after almost 2 weeks.
We kindly recommend you make a photocopy of your Temporary Protection Card and to get the printed versions of your Social Security Number (AMKA) and a Tax Identification Number (AFM). You can request the printed version of your Social Security Number (AMKA) at the nearest KEP office bringing with you the Temporary Protection Card. For the Tax Identification Number (AFM) you will need to request it from the tax office.
While under temporary protection, you are entitled to:
- access to housing
- social services
- medical services
- legal custody and safe arrangement of children and unaccompanied
- access to education for children and adolescents
- access to the labour market (according to the policy of EU countries on the labor market)
- right to a payment bank account
Regarding the procedure for granting temporary protection, please contact via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that the Asylum Service does not currently reissue new Temporary Protection Cards in case of loss or theft but only issues a document certifying the fact.
Find more here: Lost, damaged or expired documents.
Click the link below to find info about
If you are under 18 years old and you travel alone – Unaccompanied minors
In the case of unaccompanied minors, the National Mechanism for the Identification and Protection of Unaccompanied Minors of the Ministry of Immigration and Asylum is activated to transfer the children to special emergency accommodation facilities; thereafter, the relevant identification (if necessary) and guardianship procedure is followed.
Telephones: (24-hour line): 0030 2132128888
Education and registration in schools in Greece
Registration in public schools is according to the child’s age.
Check the section on the RI website to find info about education and to see what actions you need to take and what documents you need to register your children to a public school.
You can also visit the website of the Greek Ministry of Migration and Asylum, where you will find answers in the Ukrainian language to the most common questions about education in Greece.
Are you looking for a job? Do you need help finding online resources?
After the provision of the Temporary Protection, you have the right to work as an employee or a freelancer or open up a business, having the same rights and obligations as any Greek citizen, as you will get your Social Security Number (AMKA) and a Tax Identification Number (AFM) numbers that will help you to be eligible to work in Greece.
Public associations and initiatives centers of Ukrainians in Greece
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact phone: +30697 352 0645
Address: Feron 8, Athens 104 34
Association of the Ukrainian Diaspora in Greece, “Ukrainian - Hellenic Thought”
Within an Association operates Ukrainian Saturday School
The mail address of the association is: 2 Rethimnou Str., 106 82 Athens, Greece
Phones: + 30 210 2827073; + 30 697 33 10 317
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Сontact phone: + 30 695 739 1156
Ukrainian Cultural-Educational Center “Beregynia”
Within an Association operates Ukrainian Saturday School
The mail address of the association is: 246 Aharnon Str., 11253, Athens,
Greece Phones: + 30 210 8655908; + 30 697 40 54 775; Fax: + 30 210 - 867 76 86
Сontact phone: +30 693 4042 347
Support and Development Center of the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage "Trembita"
Within an Association operates Ukrainian Saturday School
The mail address of the association is 22 Rethimnisstr, Peristeri, 121 32, Athens,
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Сontact phones:+30 213 0294 772, + 30 694 159 2236, + 30 697 25 7 3004
Association of Ukrainians in Greece “Ukrainian Land of Storks”
Within an Association operated Ukrainian Cultural center and the Library of Bohdan Antonych
The mail address of the association is: 45 Viktoros Hugo St., 1-st floor, 104 38,
Athens, Greece Phones: +30 210 52 22 902; +30 694 49 26 372;
Fax: +30 210 52 45 414
Public Association "Ukrainians in Greece"
The mail address of the association is: 37, Αg. Meletiou, 112 57, Athens, Greece
Phones: + 30 693 81 86 719, fax: + 30 210 83 100 63
NGO “Borysthenes, Greece-Ukraine Business Hub”
Tel .: +30 690 99 21 678;
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful links, contacts and resources
Visit our Service map, to look for services provided to Ukrainian nationals, such as health services, information and support services, legal services, educational services, women, girls and children’s services etc.
For your search, you need to follow the below steps:
- In the "Region" tab, you can choose your location area in Greece, such as Attica, Western Macedonia, Crete etc.
- In the "City" tab, you can choose your city in the region, such as Athens, Thessaloniki etc.
- In the "All Services" tab, you can choose among services such as community centers that provide activities free of charge, legal actors, languages classes for free, public hospitals and social and health services provided by NGOs.
You can also navigate on the map or choose the list view:
Please note that the Service Map provides information in English, but you can send us a message on Facebook to direct you to NGOs, service providers and public services according to your needs.
Operation of Consulate Unit of the Embassy of Ukraine in Greece
Admission of citizens for consulate issues is carried out on a daily basis from 9:00 am to 13:00 pm. From September 21, the Embassy of Ukraine to the Hellenic Republic is open only by appointment. Pre-registration for a consular reception is carried out through the online registration form here.
📌 Citizens of Ukraine who have been forced to leave the territory of Ukraine due to the war and require the urgent filing of documents, in particular:
- Receiving certificates
- Obtaining a foreign passport
- Submission of data about children to a foreign passport
- Consular registration
- Issuance of an identity card for returning to Ukraine.
You do not need an appointment to deliver abroad a passport that has been issued in Ukraine. Find instructions here.
If you need further information, you can contact
📞 210 68 56 172 (from 09:00 to 13:00); 210 68 00 230
📱 Hotline phone 6932 765606 (Only in case of a threat to the life or death of Ukrainian citizens)
Ministry of Migration and Asylum in Greece
Important contacts of the Ministry of Migration and Asylum in Greece for Ukrainian response
For more information, visit the website of the Ministry of Migration and Asylum in Greece