This article was developed using the below pages as resources:

Important Announcement - Validity extension of the Temporary Protection Status

📢 To the Ukrainian Nationals having a Temporary protection status that expires in March 2023: By decision of the Minister of Migration and Asylum, the validity of the temporary protection status for displaced persons from Ukraine in Greece is extended for another six (6) months and specifically from March 4, 2023, to September 4, 2023, with the possibility of automatic extension for a period of additional six (6) months, i.e., from September 4, 2023, to March 4, 2024.
❗ Please note that as of the moment and according to the announcement, there is no information on any required action for the card renewal. The RI team will closely follow any relevant announcements and updates on this.

Important Announcement - Validity of the Temporary Protection Card (Residence Permit) regarding travelling in Schengen area in EU

📢 The Ukrainian Nationals having a Temporary protection status and the temporary card issued, have the right to travel and move freely inside the EU-Schengen area, even after the first 90 days of the acquisition of the temporary protection status. 
The Greek state, has added the Temporary Protection Residence Permit to Annex 22 of the List of Residence Permits Issued by Member-States
This means that Ukrainian nationals with Temporary Protection Status can travel from Greece to any Schengen Area countries and stay longer than 90 days legally. 
🔵 Note that Schengen Area countries are: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Arrival at the Airport or by Road

You may enter Greece by following the procedures below:
  1. Holders of a Ukrainian biometric passport may enter through all entry points (land and air) with a maximum stay of 90 days.
  2. Holders of a Ukrainian passport without biometric features (old type) may enter from all entry points; a transit visa is required with a maximum stay of 90 days. Attention: for the above cases, the National Police will stamp your passport with the date of entry.
  3. Ukrainian citizens who do not have travel documents may enter only from the Passport Control Department in Promachonas (tel. 0030-23230 41079) where you will be issued a document by the staff of the Ukrainian Embassy in Greece. This procedure allows you to stay for a maximum of 90 days.
  4. In case your children do not have travel documents, National Police officials will note under the entry stamp on your own passport the number of children you are accompanying. Attention: in this case, you will have to show a certificate of marital status or a birth certificate of your children. If you do not have either of these documents, you must complete and submit a solemn declaration stating the number of children, their first name, surname, gender and date of birth.

About Asylum application  

Ukrainians who arrived in Greece three months before the date of invasion in Ukraine, 24/02/2022, are entitled to get the temporary protection status
If you don’t have a foreign passport but you have one of the following documents:
  • passport of a citizen of Ukraine in the form of an ID card
  • passport of a citizen of Ukraine in the form of a book (so-called domestic passport)
  • birth certificate
Ukrainian Embassy of Ukraine in Athens or Consulate General of Ukraine in Thessaloniki will issue you a relevant certificate. With this certificate, you can apply to the Asylum Service of the Ministry of Migration and Asylum in Greece for further processing of documents so you can use it if you are looking for an apartment, a job, registration to a school in Greece and many other public procedures. The issuance of the Certificate is free of charge. In the Asylum Office you will need also one photo card size 3.5x4.5.

Ukrainian with foreign passports

Read below if your passport falls under one of the below categories and find out what are procedures you can follow:
  • If there is no more than 3 months left until the end of your foreign passport, you can submit to the Embassy of Ukraine in Athens or the Consulate of Ukraine in Thessaloniki a statement of extension of its validity for up to 5 years.
  • A foreign passport of a child under 12 years old is also ongoing, but for a specific period, no more than this period after issuing it.
  • If your child/children (up to 16 years old) don’t have a foreign or Ukrainian passport, Consulates can put their data into your foreign passport with the child/children's photo card on it.
Note that:
The deadline extension for the foreign passport is carried out on the day of appeal by the person who owns the passport or its legal representative. Meeting at the consulate for the continuation of the foreign passport is free of charge.
To submit data about children to a foreign passport, the legal representative submits to the Embassy of Ukraine in Athens or the Consulate of Ukraine in Thessaloniki the following documents:
  • the foreign passport
  • a statement on the entry of a foreign passport of information about the child
  • a birth certificate or a document confirming the fact of the birth of a child issued by the competent authorities of a foreign state (in the case of the absence of a birth certificate, an extracted document by the State Register of Civil Status of Citizens shall be submitted)
  • two 3.5 x 4.5 cm small photos
  • a document confirming the authority of a person as a legal representative - affidavit
All documents issued by foreign countries must be certified in accordance with the law of Ukraine order (if the birth certificate is issued on the territory of Greece, it must contain the APOSTILLE stamp and be translated into the Ukrainian language).
Submission of information about the child is carried out on the day of the appeal of a legal representative - free of charge.

Pre-registration and Provision of Temporary Protection

You can apply on the online platform for pre-registration for the application for Temporary Protection of displaced Ukrainians. The platform is available on the Ministry of Migration and Asylum website.

Who can apply:

  • All Ukrainian nationals, as well as stateless persons or third-country nationals who were beneficiaries of international protection or equivalent national protection, residing in Ukraine up to the 24th of February 2022 and their families, are eligible to apply.
  • All Ukrainians who arrived in Greece three months before the date of invasion in Ukraine are entitled to get the temporary protection status
You can apply for yourself and for your family. Particularly:
(a) your spouse or the unmarried partner with whom you live together in a stable relationship that can be adequately proven,
(b) your minor unmarried children without distinction as to whether they were born in or out of marriage or adopted,
(c) other close relatives who lived together as part of your family at the time of the war in Ukraine and were wholly or mainly dependent on you.

How can you apply?

You will have to log in to the platform with your email and can include up to 10 members of your family in your application for pre-registration. In the application form, you will choose the Regional Asylum Office where you wish to book your appointment and receive your Temporary Protection. The competent Regional Asylum Offices are the ones below:
  • Attica (Regional Asylum Service Office of Attica, 2 Panagioti Kanelopoulou Ave., 11527 Athens)
  • Thessaloniki (Regional Asylum Service Office Of Thessaloniki, 5 Pontou Str., 54628 Thessaloniki)
  • Patra (Regional Asylum Service Office of Western Greece, 92 Panachaikou & Kapodistriou St., 26224 Patra)
  • Crete (Regional Asylum Service Office of Crete, 1 Elefthernis & Ifaistou St., 71303 Heraklion)

What’s next?

Once you have finalized your application, you will be given an appointment (Date & Time) for your attendance at the location you chose for your registration. You will receive a receipt at the e-mail address you provided. The appointment is the same for all members of the application. Please also check your Spam folder. 
On the day of your registration before the Regional Asylum Office, you will have to submit all relevant documents for your application and mainly documents proving your lawful residence in Ukraine prior to the 24th of February, such as a national passport, Temporary Protection and/or travel documents. In case you do not have any of these documents, make sure to submit the Police Note provided to you by the Hellenic Police once you enter Greece.
The Temporary protection will be given to you immediately, provided that you have one of these documents, and will be valid until the 4th of March 2023. If the Council of the European Union will not decide on the case of the temporary protection, your Temporary protection will be automatically extended initially for 6 months, until the 4th of September 2023, and then for another 6 months until the 4th of March 2024.
You will also be provided with a Social Security Number (AMKA) and a Tax Identification Number (AFM) which will be written on your Temporary protection card that we be activated after almost 2 weeks.
While under temporary protection, you are entitled to:
  • accommodation
  • access to housing
  • social services
  • medical services
  • legal custody and safe arrangement of children and unaccompanied
  • access to education for children and adolescents
  • access to the labour market (according to the policy of EU countries on the labor market)
  • right to a payment bank account
Regarding the procedure for granting temporary protection, please contact by phone 0030-2131629600 or via email: ukraine@migration.gov.gr


Click the link below to find info about

If you are under 18 years old and you travel alone – Unaccompanied minors

In the case of unaccompanied minors, the National Mechanism for the Identification and Protection of Unaccompanied Minors of the Ministry of Immigration and Asylum is activated to transfer the children to special emergency accommodation facilities; thereafter, the relevant identification (if necessary) and guardianship procedure is followed.
Contact Information:
Telephones(24-hour line): 0030 2132128888
If you have more questions about your case, check the Frequently Asked Question section here or send us a message on Facebook

Education and registration in schools in Greece

Registration in public schools is according to the child’s age.
Check the section on the RI website to find info about education and to see what actions you need to take and what documents you need to register your children to a public school.
You can also visit the website of the Greek Ministry of Migration and Asylum, where you will find answers in the Ukrainian language to the most common questions about education in Greece.

Job vacancies

Are you looking for a job? Do you need help finding online resources?
After the provision of the Temporary Protection, you have the right to work as an employee or a freelancer or open up a business, having the same rights and obligations as any Greek citizen, as you will get your Social Security Number (AMKA) and a Tax Identification Number (AFM) numbers that will help you to be eligible to work in Greece.
On the RI website, you can find information about your working rights in Greece, how to search for a job, and tips to set up your own business

Public associations and initiatives centers of Ukrainians in Greece

E-mail: infoukrainiandiaspora@gmail.com; ukrdiasporagr@gmail.com
Contact phone: +30697 352 0645
Address: Feron 8, Athens 104 34
Association of the Ukrainian Diaspora in Greece, “Ukrainian - Hellenic Thought”
Within an Association operates Ukrainian Saturday School
The mail address of the association is: 2 Rethimnou Str., 106 82 Athens, Greece
Phones: + 30 210 2827073; + 30 697 33 10 317
Website: www.ukrgrdumka.gr
E-mail: huth@ukrgrdumka.gr, galinamk@gmail.com.
Сontact phone: + 30 695 739 1156
Ukrainian Cultural-Educational Center “Beregynia”
Within an Association operates Ukrainian Saturday School
The mail address of the association is: 246 Aharnon Str., 11253, Athens,
Greece Phones: + 30 210 8655908; + 30 697 40 54 775; Fax: + 30 210 - 867 76 86
Сontact phone: +30 693 4042 347
Support and Development Center of the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage "Trembita"
Within an Association operates Ukrainian Saturday School
The mail address of the association is: 22 Rethimnisstr, Peristeri, 121 32, Athens,
Website: www.trembita.gr 
E-mail: info@trembita.gr, alla.lobach.plessa@gmail.com 
Сontact phones:+30 213 0294 772, + 30 694 159 2236, + 30 697 25 7 3004  
Association of Ukrainians in Greece “Ukrainian Land of Storks” 
Within an Association operated Ukrainian Cultural center and the Library of Bohdan Antonych
The mail address of the association is: 45 Viktoros Hugo St., 1-st floor, 104 38,
Athens, Greece Phones: +30 210 52 22 902; +30 694 49 26 372;
Fax: +30 210 52 45 414 
E-mail: vashcenter@gmail.com 
Website: www.ukrainian.gr 
Public Association "Ukrainians in Greece"
The mail address of the association is: 37, Αg. Meletiou, 112 57, Athens, Greece
Phones: + 30 693 81 86 719, fax: + 30 210 83 100 63
Website: http://ukraintsigr.com/
NGO “Borysthenes, Greece-Ukraine Business Hub”
Tel .: +30 690 99 21 678;
Web: www.borysthenes.gr
E-mail: office@borysthenes.gr, info@ukranorama.gr

Useful links, contacts and resources


Visit our Service map, to look for services provided to Ukrainian nationals, such as health services, information and support services, legal services, educational services, women, girls and children’s services etc. 
For your search, you need to follow the below steps:
  1. In the "Region" tab, you can choose your location area in Greece, such as Attica, Western Macedonia, Crete etc.
  2. In the "City" tab, you can choose your city in the region, such as Athens, Thessaloniki etc.
  3. In the "All Services" tab, you can choose among services such as community centers that provide activities free of charge, legal actors, languages classes for free, public hospitals and social and health services provided by NGO's.
You can also navigate on the map or choose the list view: 
Please note that the Service Map provides information in English, but you can send us a message on Facebook to direct you to NGOs, service providers and public services according to your needs. 

Operation of Consulate Unit of the Embassy of Ukraine in Greece

Admission of citizens for consulate issues is carried out on a daily basis from 9:00 am to 13:00 pm by appointment:
📌 Citizens of Ukraine who have been forced to leave the territory of Ukraine due to the war and require urgent filing of documents, in particular:
  • receiving certificates
  • submission of data about children to a foreign passport
  • consular registration
If you need further information, you can contact at
📞 210 68 56 172 (from 09:00 to 13:00); 210 68 00 230
📱 hotline phone 6932 765606

Ministry of Migration and Asylum in Greece

Important contacts of the Ministry of Migration and Asylum in Greece for Ukrainian response
📞  +302131629600,
📧   ukraine@migration.gov.gr
For more information, visit the website of the Ministry of Migration and Asylum in Greece