The choices of an adolescent and a young adult are various. They can be found in secondary and post-secondary education and tertiary for those who want to continue their studies at a university level. The level of Greek needed for the schools is intermediate (b2) since the teaching language is Greek. In some schools, there are reception classes for refugees and migrants where they focus on teaching the Greek language to accelerate the learning rate of the language and continue their classes at school smoothly.

Below you will find your options according to your age, the level of your Greek language and your interest for refugees over 15 years old for public formal education in Greece. 


Secondary education

General high school (morning or evening)

The graduates receive a High school diploma (level 4). High school has 3 classes and is for students 15 years and older. On an annual basis, nationwide exams are held in which the graduates of the 3rd grade participate, and through them, they can be admitted to higher education (universities, polytechnic schools, higher schools etc.). The evening classes are only for adults or working students. There is no age limit for the evening high schools.


Vocational high school (morning or evening)

The graduates receive a vocational High school diploma (level 4). Vocational high schools have 3 classes for students 15-18 years old. After graduation, they can directly integrate into the labour market or continue to the apprenticeship class for 1 year and have a higher diploma (level 5).  They can also continue their studies at an Institute of Vocational Training (IEK) or continue to tertiary education (Universities and Higher Technical Educational Institutes). One more alternative is to re-registration in the 3rd Class of EPAL. For the acquisition and 2nd speciality of the Department that had graduated or in the 2nd Grade for the specialization of another field. The evening classes are only for adults or working students. There is no age limit for the evening high schools.


Vocational Schools of DYPA (Public Employment Service) - EPAS

The study period is 2 years (4 semesters) and combines theoretical and practice courses in real working environments related to the chosen profession. During the internship, students are paid and insured by their employer. You can register if you have at least the certificate of middle school and if you are up to 29 years old.  Graduates receive a degree of level 3. Not equivalent to high school diplomas.  Applications to enrol in one of the vocational schools of  Dypa are made only online with your TAXISnet codes. To apply, click here.


Vocational Training Schools (Vet) (started operating in 2022)

The Vocational Training Schools of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs started their operation on October 2022, and they provide post-middle school vocational education and training, level 3, and are an option for middle school graduates. The study period is two years, with theoretical training and practical training or a "Workplace learning program", which is governed by a contract, concluded between the Vocational Training School and the employer, with the possibility of providing incentives to hire the apprentice after the end of the apprenticeship.

At the end of the course, a Vocational Education and Training Degree is granted, level three of the National Qualifications Framework. The VET schools can be public or private, operating in the morning or evening. Studying in VETs is free of tuition fees.

The graduates of EPAS and VET receive Vocational Training Certificate & Degree & Professional License (license to practice) after passing Certification exams from EOPPEP.


Second chance schools

You can enrol in this type of school if you are above the age of 18 and haven’t finished middle school. Therefore, it is for individuals with a primary school certificate or never attended school. Courses are taught in the Greek language, so you need to speak and understand Greek at a very good level.  Some subjects taught there are Mathematics, English, Computers, Physics, Culture, and Arts. Classes take place only in the evening, and the period of study is two years.  More information and contacts for all second-chance schools in Greece are available here.


Post-secondary education | If you are 18+

Public institutes of vocational training (DIEK)

For High school graduates (High School certificate is required). There is no age limit and no tuition fees. The study period is 5 semesters (2,5 years) - 4 semesters for theoretical courses and 1 for internship in real working environments. IEK graduates receive a Vocational Training Certificate of Level 5 (Professional Specialty Diploma) after successful participation in the EOPPEP Certification Exams and Professional License (license to practice). There are also Private IEK with tuition fees that give you the same level of certificate and are also recognized by the state. Enrollments are made at the beginning of the school year (in September) after an announcement that appears on the website of the General Secretariat for Lifelong Learning and the Ministry of Education & Religion.


Apprenticeship Class Of Vocational High School – Post-Graduate Class

To register is required a Certificate of Vocational High School.  The duration of studies is one school year. During this year, you combine theory and practice: A program of laboratory courses of the speciality (which is taught in the school unit of EPAL/7h per week) and "Workplace Training Program - Workplace Apprenticeship”, twenty-eight (28) hours per week.  The "Workplace training program - Apprenticeship in the workplace" is defined as a contract (apprenticeship contract) concluded between the apprentice and the employer and is considered by the Principal of the school unit.  Upon the completion of the program, the graduate is issued a certificate of attendance by the school unit, and the certificate you acquire is level 5.


Tours Guide School of Ministry of Tourism

The duration of study is 2 academic semesters (1 year).  Registration qualifications:

  • At least a high school diploma.  
  • Proved excellent knowledge (C2) of at least one foreign language (in addition to the Greek language).

There is no age limit, and the studies are free of tuition fees.  After the end of the studies, a Diploma is granted, which is the license to practice the profession of tour guide. Once a year, there is a ministerial announcement to select new students. The selection process is based on an award of points based on the qualifications needed. For more information, you can click here.


What documents do I need to enrol on public High Schools?

The documents you will need to have are:

  • Your Registration card or a Residence Permit.
  • Your tax number (AFM) and access codes for the online TAXISnet platform.
  • If you are over 18, you MUST have AFM and, therefore TAXISnet codes. Your parent or guardian can register you at school if you are a minor.

Some schools may ask for additional documents. The registration process differs from school to school and changes quite often, so it’s better to go to the school of your choice fist and ask specifically what other documents you may need to have.


How can I enrol?

The enrollment process also varies from school to school. Applications for enrollment are made online in the Ministry of Education web platform in May- June and again at the beginning of September. To connect, you need TAXISnet codes (yours or your parents’ or guardians’ if you are a minor). To register in the school of your choice and read important announcements and information regarding the registrations, click here.


Online resources

Apps that help you study academic subjects

  • Coursera is an online learning platform with courses ranging from maths, physics, and computer science to social science and language learning. Most courses are free, but you may need to pay to get a certificate of completion.
  • Kiron aims to help refugees and asylum-seekers begin or continue university-level studies for free. You need to speak intermediate-level English and have regular access to the Internet. 

Other online learning platforms include:

You can also search for courses on MOOC.

Free language learning apps Duolingo can teach you many languages’ basic grammar and vocabulary. It has English, Arabic and Farsi interfaces, among others. Memrise is another language-learning website and app that can help you with vocabulary especially. It uses community-generated content. It is also available in English, Arabic and Farsi interfaces. Antura and the Letters uses games and quizzes to keep kids ages 5 to 10 engaged while learning the modern standard Arabic alphabet.

Where can I ask for help?

If you need help with the application or the registration process, you can reach out to an education NGO that you can find on the RI Service Map.


Visit our Service map, to look for services provided to refugees and asylum seekers, such as health services, information and support services, legal services, educational services, women, girls and children’s services etc. For your search, you need to follow the below steps:

  1. In the "Region" tab, you can choose your location area in Greece, such as Attica, Western Macedonia, Crete etc.
  2. In the "City" tab, you can choose your city in the region, such as Athens, Thessaloniki etc.
  3. In the "All Services" tab, you can choose among services such as community centres that provide activities free of charge, legal actors, languages classes for free, public hospitals and social and health services provided by NGO's.



You can also navigate on the map or choose the list view: 

mceclip1.png  mceclip2.png


Please note that the Service Map provides information in English, but you can send us a message on Facebook to direct you to NGOs, service providers and public services according to your needs. 

If you need guidance on which education or career path to follow, you can seek an appointment with a career counselor from an NGO that provides employment support.