Updated at: 2022/12/02
When you first enter Greece without a valid visa, you need to go through a Reception and Identification Center (RIC).
At the RIC, the Reception and Identification Service will:
- Provide first aid (if needed)
- Inform you of your legal rights and obligations in Greece
- Inform you about the asylum procedures
- Verify your identity and your nationality
- Fingerprint you (if you are 14 years or older)
- Take a picture of you
- Register your entry into Greece
- Give you a medical examination
- Issue you a health card (keep this with you)
- Offer psycho-social support (if needed)
- Offer special services for people who are considered vulnerable
- Give you accommodation in a hot spot or camp (if there are available places)
If you express that you want to apply for asylum in Greece, RIC officials will refer you to the nearest Asylum Office.
If you don’t want to apply for asylum in Greece, RIC officials will refer you to the police.
There is also the option to apply for IOM’s Assisted Voluntary Return.
Address in local language