Do you want to get a driver's license for a car or motorbike?

You will need:

  • A valid Residence Permit, issued at least 185 days ago. Ask your driving school if you can begin lessons before the 185 days are up.
  • An AFM number. 

What else do I need?

You should:

  • Find a driving school. There are many driving schools in Greek cities. Your driving school should be able to advise you through the entire process of getting a driver’s license. Most driving schools can speak with you in either Greek or English.

At your driving school, you will have to take at least 20 classroom lessons and 20 driving lessons. At the end of the course, you will have to pass a test on a computer, an oral exam and a practical driving test. The test on the computer can be taken in English. You will take your oral exam and practical driving test in Greek.

  • Get a doctor’s note. You must get a “proof of health” form from an eye doctor and from a general-practice doctor.

These doctors must be chosen from a Ministry of Transport list. Ask your driving school for more information on finding a doctor.

If you have insurance, it may pay for your doctor exams. If you don’t have insurance, you will have to pay €10 for each doctor’s appointment.

  • Pay the government. Using your AFM number, you must pay the Greek government deposits of €50, €30 and €18. You should pay these three deposits at a Citizen Service Center, or KEP. Find your closest KEP here.
  • Pay for the tests. Before taking the tests, you must pay €20 for the oral and practical driving tests.
  • Get four color, passport-size photos.