*The following process also applies to Ukrainian nationals that have been rejected and haven’t obtained the Temporary Protection status.


Once you receive refugee status or subsidiary protection in Greece, you can apply for a Travel Document (TDV). You don’t have to wait until your Residence Permit is issued.

If you have refugee status, your Travel Document will look like this:


You can use your national passport if you have been granted subsidiary protection. But if you cannot get a passport from your country of origin, you can also apply for a Travel document.

If you have subsidiary protection, your Travel Document will look like this:


Travel Documents issued for refugees or members of their families are valid for 5 years for adults and minors over 14 years old and 3 years for minors under 14 years old.

Travel Documents issued for those granted subsidiary protection or family members are valid for 3 years.

How and where to apply

The competent authority for the issuance of travel documents is the Hellenic Police.

Please find the steps to apply briefly listed below:

  1. Apply to Police Passport Offices. You choose a Passport Office depending on your area –scheduling an appointment will be required. You have to submit an application provided by the Passport Office and additional documents/administrative fees described below. The Passport Office will also take your fingerprints.
  2. You can choose the closest Passport Office of Police Stations from the RI Service Map on the website. Visit our Service map and check the category "Passport Offices".
  3. When you apply, you must have your Residence Permit (ADET) with you to show it. Otherwise, you must show the International Protection Applicant's Card marked "Residence Permit is Pending."
  4. You will receive a receipt from the Passport Office when you submit your application and supporting documents. You must not lose this receipt, as you will need it to pick up your travel documents.


  • When you have joint custody of your children with your spouse, and you can't both be present at the Passport Office for the application of your children, written consent is needed from the parent that won't be able to be there. The signatures in the written consent need to be authenticated by Police or KEP.
  • When you have sole custody of your children and there is no official document that proves this (e.g., divorce certificate, death certificate) you need to submit to the Passport Office a Sworn Declaration in which you have to state that you have the sole custody of your children due to a specific event (e.g., divorce, death) but an official document from your country of origin can not be acquired to prove this. A sworn declaration can be signed before a Notary or Judge and it is best to seek legal assistance for the procedure, although it is not obligatory.
  • To apply for travel documents for your children, you need the same supporting documents/fee described below. You should bring your children (even newborn) with you to the Passport Office when you apply for their travel documents. Also, if your children are over 6 years old, they will be fingerprinted. If you are an unaccompanied minor, your Representative or Commissioner appointed by the District Attorney for your care will apply for you.

Find more details on the process, documents and decision on the Ministry's website.

Required documents you need to submit with your Travel Document application.

  1. Solemn Declaration application for the issue of travel documents which the Passport Office can provide.
  2. Copy of the International Protection decision document.
  3. Note that if you have been granted subsidiary protection, the Subsidiary Protection decision document should specify that you have the right to travel documents from the Greek State. If the above-mentioned decision does not include the above specification, you are required to provide a document that objectively proves that the authorities of your country of origin cannot issue a national passport for you (e.g., a relevant declaration issued from the Embassy of your country of origin in Greece).
  4. Copy of the Residence Permit decision document (ADET).
  5. Two recent photographs (passport type).Τhe cost approximately €10 (euros).
  6. Paravolo. Travel Documents cost €84,40 (euros) for adults and minors over 14 years old and €73,60 (euros) for minors under 14 years old.

How to pay the renewal fees

You can pay the fees for the renewal of your Travel Document through the so-called e-paravolo online platform (all information on this platform is in Greek).


If you have a tax number (AFM), you can access this platform, and all your personal information (name, surname, father's name, mother's name, date of birth, etc) will appear automatically.

You can also access this platform without having an AFM. In that case, though, you cannot request your money back if anything goes wrong.

You can pay the fee online on the e-paravolo platform, using web banking or a credit card. Another option is to print the unique code you will get from the e-paravolo online platform and pay the fees at a bank or a post office with a regular cash deposit.

After you are informed that the decision of the renewal of your travelling document is ready, you should book an appointment with the competent Police Department to give your fingerprints again and the paid paravolo (fee).

What happens after you apply

  1. The Greek Police will do national and international criminal background checks on you.
  2. If you pass the background checks, the police will issue the Travel Document.
  3. Every week the Greek Asylum Service releases a list of all the ready Travel Documents. You can find the latest list here.

How long it takes

The Greek Asylum Service says you should expect to wait 2 -9 months for the Travel Document to be issued because the criminal background check takes a long time.

Where can you pick up the Travel Document?

To check if your travel documents are ready and to find out from which Asylum Service Offices you can pick them, you have to follow this link using your case number.

You can only pick up your travel documents from the Thessaloniki Regional Asylum Office or the Attica Regional Asylum Office.

Dates for pick up of travel documents are announced in the file you need to download from the List of Travel Documents that are ready-Pick. To pick up your travel documents,, you must come in person at the specific date/time according to your case number as specified in relevant Asylum Service announcements.

You cannot send a representative to pick up your travel documents

You should have the receipt from the relevant police authority that shows that you have submitted the required documents for your application and your Residence Permit (ADET) (or if you don't have a Residence Permit, you should have you your applicant's card).


With a Travel Document, you have the right to:

  • Travel to some other EU countries as a tourist for up to 3 months without a visa (Check before you travel to learn whether you need a visa to enter your destination country).
  • Travel to non-EU countries with a visa.

Keep in mind:

  • You can go to another EU country (within the Schengen area), but you cannot stay for more than 90 calendar days within six months.
  • When you are recognized as a refugee or beneficiary of subsidiary protection in Greece, you must live in Greece. The residence permit you obtains is valid ONLY for Greece. You can stay abroad within the Schengen area legally only for up to 90 days within a six-month period, for holidays or visiting relatives, etc. and must return to Greece within 90 days. In any other case of breaking these 90 days you will need to submit documents to Greek authorities to prove why you needed to stay longer, such as for reasons of hospitalization. 
  • In this case, you apply for residency in another country, and this country gives you a residence permit for work, or because you married a citizen of that country, then you can stay in the other country. Still, you won't maintain the Greek residency.
  • If you ask for asylum in another EU country, it may not give you legal status and send you back to Greece. Οnly exceptionally and within their discretionary power, one state might decide to examine an asylum application of someone who has already applied for asylum in another EU country.
  • If you have refugee status (full asylum) and travel to your country of origin, you may lose your status in Greece.
  • If you have subsidiary protection, you cannot travel to your country of origin with a Travel Document. Still, depending on your specific case, you may lose your status in Greece. Nevertheless, if you have a passport issued by your country of origin, you may travel to your country of origin.
  • If your travel document expires while you are abroad, you will not be able to return to Greece.

Your Travel Document does not give you the right to:

  • Stay permanently in another European country
  • Work in another European country

NOTE: Your Travel Document is a valid form of identification as a Residence Permit. However, we suggest you carry both documents, especially when travelling outside Greece.

Do you have more questions about Travel Documents? Click here!