Updated at: 2022/12/21
Athens Tram connects the city center with the southern seaside. There are 3 lines:
· Line 1 “Kasomouli – SEF” linking downtown Athens to the Peace and Friendship Stadium,
· Line 2 “Kasomouli – Voula” which runs between the city center and southern suburb of Voula and
· Line 3 “Voula – SEF” running along the coastal zone.
Operating hours are 5:30 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. and on Fridays and Saturdays it operates approximately from 5:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m.
Click to see Athens Urban Transport Network Map
Starting in 2017, a new electronic ticketing system was introduced in the Athens public transport network, replacing the older paper tickets and cards.
What are the different types of tickets and cards for Athens public transport?
There are 3 new types of Athens Transport tickets:
· The Ath.ena Ticket
· The personalized Ath.ena Card
· The anonymous Ath.ena Card
The Ath.ena Ticket at a glance:
· What is it? Paper rechargeable ticket that can be charged with fares from simple 90-minute tickets up to 5-day tickets. Tickets for trips to/from the airport exist as well.
· Who is it for? People who don’t use the transport regularly and just want a ticket to get to their destination.
· The good: You don’t need to show a document or wait in line to get one. You can just go to a ticket machine.
· The bad: It can’t be recharged while there’s already a ticket inside so you might end up needing more than one. Also, you can’t get half-priced tickets with it.
The anonymous Ath.ena Card at a glance:
· What is it? Plastic rechargeable card that can be charged with any fare, up to 5-day tickets.
· Who is it for? People who don’t use the transport regularly but would rather use a plastic card than a paper ticket.
· The good: You don’t need to show a document to get one.
· The bad: You can only issue it at ticket offices, you can’t get half priced tickets and it has very few of the advantages of a personalized Ath.ena Card.
The personalized Ath.ena Card at a glance:
· What is it? Plastic rechargeable card with the photo and name of the passenger it belongs to. It can be charged with any fare, up to a 365-day ticket or an amount up to 50 euros.
· Who is it for? The frequent users of Athens transport as well as anyone who wants a half-priced ticket.
· The good: You can buy tickets online and charge your card using your smartphone or a ticket machine, you can re-issue it if you lose it.
· The bad: Issuing it can be a hassle, there are limits as to how many tickets you can charge it with.
You can charge and recharge your Ath.ena Ticket or Ath.ena Card with a number of short-term and long-term fares, as seen in the following 3 tables
1. Table 1 Short-term tickets (no airport Transfer)
2. Table 2 Short-term tickets (including airport transfers)
For More information (English only) on tickets please visit https://www.athenstransport.com/english/tickets/
Information on First & Last Train Departures
For more information on transportations is highly recommended to use the moovitapp or for better use download the app for Android or Apple iOS in your mobile device. The app is available in 45 languages!
Moovit now supports over 40+ languages. Moovit’s App language is based on the language of your phone - simply change the language of your phone under your device settings and Moovit will change too.
Monday open from 05:30 AM to 01:00 AM
Tuesday open from 05:30 AM to 01:00 AM
Wednesday open from 05:30 AM to 01:00 AM
Thursday open from 05:30 AM to 01:00 AM
Friday open from 05:30 AM to 02:30 AM
Saturday open from 05:30 AM to 02:30 AM
Sunday open from 05:30 AM to 01:00 AM